Wednesday 24 January 2018

R is for... Reasons to run


Tonight I ran for the second time this week. Tuesday’s forced hobble through the arctic weather: the gale force wind blowing me into the road and hailstones the size of my fist bouncing off my hat with the holes really inspired me… so tonight I repeated the fun. If Tuesday’s run was that first date- butterflies in your tummy, feeling high on endorphins- then tonight’s was the crash and burn after the break-up. It hurt. A lot.

In fact, it hurt really quickly. I had not gone half a mile when a persistent pain in my heel caused me to stop (in the middle of my favourite song no less) and de-shoe. And there, skulking in the bottom of my trainer, was a piece of lego. And this reminded me exactly why I run.

I run for my kids. There are four of them and, generally, they are lovely. My third child is disabled and will need me to care for her for all of her life… so I need to be strong and fit. A good reason to run I’m sure you’ll agree. I’m also running a half marathon to raise money for an essential piece of tech that will help her to communicate… another great reason. I could go on about empowering my kids, showing them that you have to look after your body, blah, blah, blah but actually I run to get away from them.


It’s true. I haven’t been to the toilet for 16 years without someone following me to ask me what’s for breakfast/ lunch / dinner. I spend every meal time telling my older ones to stop bickering and if I have to pretend to be interested in someone’s dream about Phoebe, Polly and Nancy one more time, I swear I will rip my own ears off.

So what if running hurts. So what if, for the first two miles, I have to force myself to pass every park bench just in case I give in to temptation and take a quick snooze.  Parenting hurts more. And those precious child free moments are worth the pain. So bring it on.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Kelly,
    First off, just want to say I love the blog- it's the only thing that motivates me to get up in the morning, as I find that the rest of the world is just so disheartening.
    I would just like to ask who that stallion is in the enclosed photograph- the one in the black coat sporting the glasses. He looks a bit special, but he's my kind of guy. Contact details?
    Thanks again Kel,
    Keith x

    ReplyDelete